Composite Resin Fillings:What is involved in placement of composite filling?
The procedure for placing a composite resin dental filling is a bit complicated.
- The dentist isolates the tooth from saliva to keep it dry
- A drill or air abrasion is used to remove the decaying part of the tooth.
- The composite resin is placed in layers over the opening.
- A special light is used to harden each layer of composite resin material.
- After the tooth is filled, the composite resin is shaped to resemble a real tooth.
Composite resin restorations require more time in the dental chair and more work on the dentist’s part, but most patients are incredibly pleased with the results.