Airway Orthodontics is performing orthodontics with the goal of creating an ideal airway and developing a patient to their full genetic potential. Here at Ortho-TMJ-Sleep Centre we focus on treating the underlying causes, unlocking natural growth and development.
A majority of children now have crooked teeth, which is evident from five years of age and is often attributed to hereditary factors. However, rather than blame genetics for crooked teeth and poor jaw development, modern research has produced evidence that points to other causes.
Mouth breathing, tongue thrusting, reverse swallowing and thumb sucking (known as incorrect myofunctional habits) are the real causes.
Allergies, asthma, which may have been the cause of incorrect dental and facial development and an open mouth posture also contribute to incorrect jaw development. Growing up, most of us have had one or more of these myofunctional problems, which may have been the cause of incorrect dental and facial development.
Some signs of Obstructed Breathing include:
- Mouth breathing
- Poor sleep or sleep apnea
- Poor school or work performance
- Rapid shallow breathing
- Chronic sinus infections
Benefits of Airway Orthodontics
- A good night’s sleep, no longer struggling to breathe while sleeping
- Healthy facial development
- Reduce or eliminate the need for braces later
- Reduce or eliminate the need for jaw surgery
- Overall improved health
- Breathe better, feel better, perform better in all aspects of life
If you could improve your child’s life beyond straight teeth,